Camp Instructor and Teaching Assistant Application
SCI Camp Program Description
The Science Mill offers summer SCI (STEM Career Immersion) Camps for students in Austin, San Antonio, Dripping Springs, and Johnson City. We have a passionate focus on serving students who are traditionally underrepresented in STEM fields, including low-income, minority, and first-generation students. Our camps are designed to ignite and inspire the next generation of STEM professionals. Daily activities are inquiry driven and include individual and team challenges, active problem solving, and hands-on engagement with a variety of technology – all in an informal camp environment. Within each camp, students explore activities that connect to careers in fields such as chemistry, robotics, engineering, computer science, biology, entrepreneurship, and much more!
Camps are week-long, Mon - Fri, 9 - 4 pm, for campers going into grades 3rd - 8th.
- Seasonal (full-time)
- Lead Instructor and Teaching Assistants positions available in all cities
- Location assignment is dependent on the applicant’s residential proximity to a camp. (For example, if you live in or closer to the San Antonio area, you would be placed in a team for San Antonio camps)
Summer Camp Job Descriptions
You will be a key member of a Summer SCI (STEM Career Immersion) camp team and will assist in the implementation of all hands-on, FUN camp activities while being a supportive and flexible team player. Each team member will participate in a paid training on informal STEM education, educational equity, and the Science Mill’s unique brand of inquiry-based educational practices including the use of our technology for camp.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Interest in working with kids by supporting and encouraging them as they learn and develop a passion for all things STEM
- Time Commitment: 4-6 weeks of camp, (~40 hrs/week, M-F) starting June 18th-August 11th
- *No camps week of July 4th*
- Attendance at paid training June 4th - 8th OR June 11th - June 15th in Johnson City (provided by the Science Mill’s educator team)
- Attendance at post-camp debrief and BBQ celebration on August 11th
- Foster and support a joyful and exciting camp experience for young children
- Create a safe, engaging, and fearless learning environment that encourages children to recognize their potential in STEM
As a Teaching Assistant (TA)- Actively enrolled in and pursuing a degree in education or a STEM-related field
As an Instructor- At least 1 year of successful teaching experience and/OR extensive experience working with children in an informal education environment; a degree in education or a STEM-related field
Candidate Qualifications and Preferred Skills
- A clear interest in working with/teaching a diverse background of school-aged children is a must; successful experience working with children preferred
- Demonstrate a knowledge and passion for the mission of the Science Mill
- Able to work both independently and as part of the camp team
- Flexible team player with an openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely, and compassionately with parents and others
- Be outgoing, energetic, organized, motivated, and passionate to deliver the best experiences for our campers
- Adaptability to solve problems and be resourceful
- Computer and technology related skills strongly preferred, but will be trained on how to use all technology
Please complete the application below AND submit your resume to email@example.com. Your application is not complete and you will not be considered for any position until your resume is submitted. Thanks!
link to application here